"The Kings oldest enemy" 1714-1824 Peter Grant a tailor to trade fought at Culloden in the jacobite rebellion in 1745. He was captured and taken to Carlisle. When he escaped from there he settled in Lethnot at Westside (Braco).
In 1820 he was awarded a pension from King William IV of one guinea a week and became known as the kings oldest enemy. His portrait by Calvin Smith now hangs in the National Portrait Gallery in Edinburgh. His wife and daughter are buried in Lethnot church yard.
Stoneyford bridge 1787.
Drowning at Stoneyford.
Two Brothers were drowned while travelling north. trying to cross the Westwater on one horse. At the time
there was no bridge there.
In 1787 a bridge was built by the public, the money. £76. was raised by public subscription.
- In the 1840's die local landowner Lord Panmuir started an annual exhibition of livestock with prizes for the best specimens of the breed. Was this the start of local agricultural shows.
Baby lost from Glasscorrie
In the early 1800's a father from Glasscorrie was carrying his child in a
plaid to be baptized at Lethnot kirk.
When he arrived there. there was no baby in the plaid.
However on retracing his steps he found the child none the worse for its experience.
Lethnot Celtic Cross.
Lethnot Celtic Cross is now in the Antiquarian Museum in Edinburgh. It was found in 1885 when the
Lethnot - Navar church was being renovated.
It is believed to date from before the l2th century. and said to be more delicately beautifully executed than
others in Angus.
l7th Century. Donald Young.
In the late 1600's there was a bloody battle at the top of the glen called "The battle of the Saughs . It was between young cateranians (Lethnot) and 18 men from fern, It was over rustling cattle and horses. The Shank of Donald Young marks the spot where young Donald Young from Lethnot was killed by the sword. Many Lethnot men were harmed some fatally. The Fern men returned home victorious with only one lost.
The Church Bell
In the 17th century neither churches had bells
In 1750 John Fyfe minister of Navar had a bell cast at his own expense in Rotterdam with the inscription
Soli Des Gorid C Orderocce Fecil Rottcrdam l~55. which means To god alone be glory.
After the union of the parishes Lord Panmurc grantcd thc bell for Lcthnot church however the locals hid the bell and it has never been hung in the church in Lcthnot
It is now in the Meffa Museum in Forfar.
The Black Cat of the manse.
Mr John Row the last minister of Navar as a separate Parish, and the first of the United Parishes of Navar and Lethnot. had heard of a superstition that whoever stepped over a newly made grave would meet some great misfortune sooner or later. Mr. Row thinking this is a good opportunity to teach his people a practical lesson to the absurdity of such a belief, he jumped over a grave three times. He then returned to the manse, which then stood close to the Southwest gate of the kirkyard, he went upstairs to his chamber. It was not so dark as to stop him seeing some strange animal was in his room. He then called downstairs to his servant to bring him a lighted candle and a stick. The animal turned out to be a large black cat, which on seeing the light bolted out the open door. The minister took two or three steps back to try to get a stroke at it, on doing so he came against the frail wooden rail which gave way and he fell backwards in to the lobby beneath and broke his neck.
This is the true story of the black cat of the manse.